There are many hidden sources of moisture in your home that can lead to serious problems, such as mould. To keep moisture levels in check, consider these tips:
- Bathrooms are an obvious source of moisture build-up. Contractor and TV personality Mike Holmes recommends keeping the fan going for at least a half hour after a shower.
- Check regularly for water infiltration around window and door sills, as well as other intakes into the home, such as dryer vents and cable wiring.
- Determine the humidity level in your home. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, it should be 30-60%. (Keep in mind that humidity may vary greatly from room to room.)
- Regularly inspect caulking around sinks, tubs and showers. Even a tiny break can cause water to leak gradually into the wall or floor, causing damage you may not notice for months.
- Clean up wet spills as soon as possible. On hardwood floors especially, water can seep through and become trapped.
- Repair leaking faucets, toilets and pipes immediately. A drip can quickly become a shower.
Being mindful of moisture today can help you avoid potentially high repair bills later on.
For more information contact The Dion-Ivans Real Estate Team today!