Imagine going to a restaurant in Kelowna with your family for dinner. You're
planning on ordering a nice pasta and salad. Your heart is set on it.
But, after you go to the trouble of driving there and getting a table,
you discover that pasta is not on the menu.
Of course, it’s only a meal. You can go somewhere else next time.
But, what if the same scenario played out once you had moved into a
new neighbourhood in the Okanagan? Imagine you were counting on public transit
being in easy walking distance, but discovered the nearest stop is
four blocks away. Argh!
That's why it's important to ensure a neighbourhood has the
characteristics you want — before you make an offer on a home you like.
Think about what you want most in a neighbourhood. Consider work,
commuting, schools, playgrounds, noise level, walking and cycling,
hobbies, shopping, entertainment, etc.
If there is a neighbourhood feature that is very important to you,
check it out for yourself. For example, if easy access to a main
highway is desirable for commuting, take the route for a test drive.
You can get a lot of information on a neighbourhood through the
listed property's description and MLS listing.
Want more in-depth insights into an area you're considering? We have
that information. Call The Dion-Ivans Real Estate Team today!!
Ideally you should have a week or two available before you list your
property in order to stage your home and make it look its best for buyers.
But, what if you listed quickly and within hours of the For Sale sign going up
a buyer wants to view your property?
In that scenario, you need to do some quick "staging" to get your home
ready. Let's assume your property is already clean and tidy. Here are some
other things you can do.
· Open the curtains, even at night. This will make each room seem
brighter, more appealing and more spacious.
· Pull out some boxes or storage bins. Put away personal knick-knacks
(like that bowling trophy) and other personal items to reduce clutter on
shelves and countertops.
· Clear countertops in the kitchen and bathrooms. Put the old toaster oven
· Make sure lighting throughout the house is bright and comfortable. In
darker areas, plug in a lamp.
· Clear away as much as you can in the foyer. Make that space look open,
uncluttered and welcoming.
· Move cars out of the driveway. Give the buyer a convenient place to park!
· Make the beds. Fluff pillows on sofas.
· Clear away as many items as possible from the closet floors (such as
· Open a window and air out the kitchen, especially if you just finished
· Make sure your pet is in a crate or, if possible, out for a walk. Not
everyone loves pets.
These staging tips take only a few minutes each, but can make a big
difference in the impression your home makes on a buyer.
Want more home selling advice? Call The Dion-Ivans Real Estate Team today!!
If you're thinking ahead to your next dream home in Kelowna, the road you need to take
to get there may seem confusing. Do you search for listings online? Drop by
Open Houses on the weekends? Call the number on For Sale signs?
Let's break it all down! Here are the specific steps you need to take to
ensure you find a home that fits your wants, needs and budget.
1. Find out how much your current property will likely sell for on today’s
market. (Ask The Dion-Ivans Real Estate Team!)
2. Arrange for financing, so you know what you can afford.
3. Select neighbourhoods you'd love to live in. (That may involve some
4. Decide on the type of home you want to buy. (For example:
detached, three-bedroom, etc.)
5. Prioritize the property features you want most, so you can be flexible
if a feature is missing from a home listed on the market that is
6. View properties on the market that closely fit your criteria, particularly
new listings that may not yet be posted online. (Tip: Have The Dion-Ivans Team immediately notify you of new listings that are a good fit.)
7. When you find a home you want, make an offer designed to get the
property — without overpaying.
8. Negotiate until you secure the deal. This may involve counter-offers.
9. If the negotiation is skillfully done and all goes well, the home is
As you can see, there isn't a lot of mystery in finding your next dream home.
You just need to take the steps and get the professional help you need
along the way.
Looking for a real estate agent that can get you to the finish line?
Call The Dion-Ivans Real Estate Team today!
The trademarks REALTOR®, REALTORS®, and the REALTOR® logo are controlled by The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) and identify real estate professionals who are member’s of CREA. The trademarks MLS®, Multiple Listing Service® and the associated logos are owned by CREA and identify the quality of services provided by real estate professionals who are members of CREA. Used under license.